15 Things you didn’t know about dachshunds

One of the most recognizable dog breeds on Earth, the dachshund is also one of the most popular breeds. But how much do you really know about them? Check out the following facts and learn more about this tenacious hound.

#1 – They Come in 15 Colors

While you are probably used to seeing red, black & tan and dappled Doxies, did you know they come in 15 colors and 6 marking combinations? Colors include: black & cream, black & tan, blue & cream, blue & tan, chocolate & cream, chocolate & tan, cream, fawn (also called Isabella) & cream, fawn & tan, red, wheaten, wild board, black, chocolate and fawn. Marking combinations include: brindle, dapple, sable, brindle piebald, double piebald and piebald.

Image source: @tonyalter via Flickr
Image source: @tonyalter via Flickr

#2 – They’re Known As A Badger Dog

The name Dachshund comes from the German “Dachs” meaning “badger” and “hund” meaning dog. According to the AKC, Americans called the dog “Badger Dog” during the postwar years to disassociate the breed from his German origins. (akc.org).

Image source:
Image source: “Deiker Jagdbare Tiere 1093210” by Carl Friedrich Deiker – UB Düsseldorf, https://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:hbz:061:2-437. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons

Related: 10 Things Only a Crazy Dachshund Person Would Wear

• The More I Love My Dachshund

• Doxie Math - 3 Dachshunds

• Owned By a Dachshund

• Crazy Doxie Lady

• I Hug My Dachshund

• Live Long

• If My Dachshund Doesn`t Like You

• Better Half - Dachshund

• Doxies: Cheaper Than Therapy

• Doxie-O-Holic

#3 – They Come in Three Sizes

Many people are so used to seeing a miniature Dachshund, they forget that the standard size exist, and it can be almost triple the size of the mini. The mini is usually around 11 pounds and hunted small vermin while the larger, 32-pound dog hunted the badger. In Germany, they come in a third size, in between the miniature and the standard.

Image source: “Jamnik długowłosy standardowy LM 671” by Lilly M – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5 via Wikimedia Commons

Reviews & Comments

Related posts